Protein-Sparing Modified Fasts
Posted: 27 September 2008 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-09-27

This question is for Larry and for anyone who has experience with Protein-Sparing Modified Fasts (PSMF).  I’m hoping to kickstart my diet by going on a PSMF.  I heard that it’s an effective way to lose fat quickly while still maintaining lean body mass.  And I’ve also read that many body builders and figure athletes use such a diet to lose stubborn fat before competitions and photo shoots.  A few studies I skimmed suggest that if one eats adequate amounts of good quality protein while on a PSMF, s/he will not lose too much muscle mass compared to other fasts or very low calorie diets. 

Larry, what are your thoughts on PSMF?  And has anyone reading this post tried this type of diet?

Thanks very much!  And Larry, thank you for all the great information you provide on this site!

Posted: 28 September 2008 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2004-03-12

CalGal,

I have not studied protein-sparing modified fasts to see how well they preserve muscle.

Obesity researcher Theodore VanItallie told me in an interview that quicker you lose weight, the more muscle you lose.

He said that if you lose 2 pounds per week, 85% if fat and 15% is muscle.

If you lose 2.25 pounds per week, 75% is fat and 25% is muscle.

If you lose 3 pounds per week, it’s 50% fat and 50% muscle.

If you lose 5 pounds per week, it’s 25% fat and 75% muscle.

And if you lose 8 pounds per week, it’s 15% fat and 85% muscle.

He noted that weight loss should be restricted to 1% of body weight per week.

So if you weigh 150 pounds, you should limit weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week.

If you weigh 200 pounds, limit it to 2 pounds per week. 300 pounds, 3 pounds per week. Etc.

Dr. VanItallie talks about this in an interview posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/375/

Posted: 28 September 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

CalGal,

Dr. Van Itallie also says that calorie intake should never go below 500 calories per day and probably not below 800 calories per day.

Obesity researcher Frank Greenway, MD said the same thing.

He said the research shows that a diet of 800 calories per day causes nearly as much weight loss as 500 calories per day and is safer.

Posted: 28 September 2008 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

CalGal,

The research strongly suggests to me that low-carb diets are the way to go.

One study found women lost more weight on a high-protein, low-carb diet than on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.

Women on a high-protein Zone-type diet lost an average of 15 pounds.

Those on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet lost an average of 16 pounds.

This compares to those on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet who lost an average of 10 pounds.

Specifics of the study are posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/women-lose-5-lbs-more-on-low-carb-diet-versus-high-carb-diet/

Posted: 28 September 2008 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

CalGal,

Another study found that women on a high-protein, low-carb Atkins diet lost more weight than those on a more balanced Zone-type diet or a low-fat diet or a diet following the USDA’s Food Pyramid.

Women on a high-protein, low-carb Atkins diet lost an average of roughly 10 pounds after one year.

Women on a more balanced Zone-type diet lost an average of roughly 4 pounds.

Those on a USDA Food Pyramid diet lost an average of roughly 6 pounds.

While those on a very-low-fat diet also lost an average of roughly 5 pounds.

Those on the high-protein, low-carb Atkins diet not only lost more weight, but also had greater reductions in blood pressure and cholesterol.

A summary of the study is posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/women-lost-more-weight-on-the-atkins-diet-than-on-the-zone-a-low-fat-diet-o/