Correct dosage?
Posted: 12 August 2009 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-12

I just started taking phentermine and want to make sure i’m taking the right dosage.  I just feel a little unsure.
  My friend has been taking it for awhile and we’re about the same height but she’s lighter than I am. She takes 15mg once a day or just half of a 15mg.
Now i’m 5’1, 203lbs and i’ve been taking the 37.5mg once in the morning and a half of one in the afternoon.  I’ve been thinking about starting to take some of the 5-HTP because I am a real sucker for sweets. So that’s where i’m at right now. My friend thinks that I should be taking it 3 times a day.  *I only ask because she is working as a medical assistant and studying towards her RN. So I respect her opinion.* 
I’m not allergic to anything and don’t forsee any other kinds of problems. I rarely take aspirin or dayquil when i’m ill, so I don’t have any kind of tolerance built up for meds. 
The only thing that makes me think she could be right is that I haven’t lost much and I don’t have a major energy boost like most people seem to get. I do feel more alert and awake but not raring to go. 
Oh I guess I should add that my goal weight is 135, (i have a large build). I’m female, if that matters.  Any opinions/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
DD

Posted: 12 August 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-12

I forgot to ask, I know we’re told to only use for a short time, which was explained to me as 12-16 weeks.  How long is it really ok to use phentermine? And how long should you wait between getting off and then getting back on?  Some medicines have 3 week cycles…(3 ON, 3 OFF, 3 ON, 3 OFF, etc).

Thanks

Posted: 30 August 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2004-03-12

22cupcake,

Sorry for the delayed response.

If you don’t feel stimulation from taking phentermine or have not lost much weight…

Are you sure the phentermine is real?

Weight loss doctors have told me that some brands of generic phentermine work better than others.

And if you got it off the internet, there is always a possibility that it is fake.

Michael Anchors, MD, PhD recommends starting off with only half a dose of phentermine (15 mg or 18.75 mg) for the first week to allow the body to adjust.

He also recommends avoiding caffeine to reduce side effects.

You can ask him questions on his Discussion Forums on his website:

http://www.phenpro.com/

Posted: 30 August 2009 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

22cupcake,

Regarding how long you can use phentermine.

Some doctors give it indefinitely.

Some give it until patients get down to their desired weight and then allows the patient to take it as needed, noting that women’s appetite varies during the month depending on where they are in their cycle and depending on stress.

Some doctors give it until a patient achieves their desired weight and then stops the drug.

The second way—having a patient take it as necessary—makes the most sense to me.

Posted: 08 September 2009 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-12

No problem, thanks for replying.

I do believe that I am taking real Phen. It is the MP 273. 

I have felt effects like extra energy and dry mouth, sweating, etc. I have lost about 6 pounds but since i’m much bigger than my aforementioned friend she thinks perhaps I should take a higher dosage than I have been. 

I did post this on the phenpro site, thank you for the link.

Posted: 08 September 2009 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

22cupcake,

Regarding dose, I would wait for an answer from Michael Anchors, MD, PhD on phenpro.com.

Timing also matters.

Taking it a little later in the day may work better for someone who experiences hunger later in the day.

However, if it interferes with sleep, then the last dose should be taken earlier.

Larry Hobbs