1 of 5
Topamax plus Wellbutrin = no appetite
Posted: 13 January 2007 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-01-13

I was just started on Topamax (for mood stabilization) and Wellbutrin three days ago and it has dramatically decreased my appetite.  It’s amazing! I am not nearly so hungry, and when I am, I have been eating less than half what I usually eat. I know it’s only three days so I’m keeping my fingers crossed . . .

I should add that I’m 5’7” and need to lose 35-40 lbs to get down to my good weight of 120.  Three previous attempts of VLC diet (800 cals) plus strenuous aerobics and weights, which used to work albeit slowly, failed miserably, perhaps because I turned 40. I have since been placed on Armour thyroid.  Yes, I feel I must justify why I need an appetite suppressant. Terrible, isn’t it, the judgment

Posted: 18 January 2007 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2004-03-12

Shannon,

Thank you for your input.

A company is hoping to sell the combination you are using—Topamax and Wellbutrin—as a weight loss drug called Excalia.

This combination drug for weight loss is not yet available for sale, but doctors can prescribe it just as they did for you.

Let us know how your weight loss continues.

Good luck.

Posted: 18 January 2007 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-13

Yes, I’ve read of Excalia. A press release of the company’s claims what makes it unique is its delivery system (I’m skeptical). The release also said, interestingly, that Excalia contains much higher doses of Wellbutrin and Topamax than is presently prescribed. I also read an excited quote by a doctor who said this combo is the most effective since phen-fen.

I have now been on the combination for eight days.  Around day 6 of 25 mg., the appetite suppression effect started to lessen, esp. at night.  This is okay because apparently, appetite suppression isn’t even supposed to kick in until 200 mg!  This is the level I am currently titrating up to.  Yesterday my therapist kicked me up to 50 mg. daily in two divided doses and appetite suppression is back in full force!  I continue to have no side-effects from Topamax.  In fact, I feel fabulous except for Wellbutrin side-effects below. I am to go up 25 mg. every five days until I reach 200 mg.

I am still on 200 mg. Wellbutrin, 3 grains Armour thyroid.  Wellbutrin side-effects are transitory headache and slight dizziness. By the way, my mother, 5’ 2” has lost 25 lbs on 300 mg. Wellbutrin. She is now a little size 6 after battling those pounds for the past 20 years.

I think I lost about 5 lbs in a week. I don’t have scales so it’s hard to say exactly but I know my body. This is a LOT for me in a week. My normal progression is slow and painful.

Posted: 22 January 2007 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Shannon,

Regarding the unique delivery system…

I agree, it’s nonsense.

Part of it is sustained-release, but that does not make it special.

That is good you are feeling good.

Interesting about your mother losing 25 lbs on Wellbutrin. I am for whatever works.

Regarding scales…

You might consider getting a scale and weighing yourself every day. It’s the only way to know what is working and what is not.

I would even suggest plotting your weight on a graph day by day so you can see your progress over time.

The research says that people who lose weight and keep it off, weigh themselves every day.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks.

Posted: 03 March 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-03-03

I’ve been on Wellbutrin for over a year and never lost weight with it. I just started with Topamax for complex migraines that I have. So far the only side effects I have are the tingling of hands and feet and the dry mouth. I started out with 50 mg at night, I am now at 100 split up at 50 mg am and 50 mg pm. I keep reading where everyone has lost weight with it and they have experienced some hair loss. I do smoke and I know that some have said they quit with Topamax so maybe that will help me as well.

Posted: 03 March 2007 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-13

I understand that weight loss with Wellbutrin is very dose-dependent.  My mother didn’t start to lose until they upped her to 300 mg. You can go up to 450 mg. 

I’ve lost about 15 lbs.  It is very noticeable in my face and stomach.  I believe I would have lost more but was hit with a nuclear bomb in my personal life a montha ago and have been spotty in paying attention to dieting, also drinking too much. 

I’m going to ask my doc to eventually up my Topamax dose to the max—am currently at 200 mg.  Only side-effects a little peripheral paresthesia, esp. in the cheeks!  Very weird to feel that in the cheeks.

Good luck!

Posted: 03 March 2007 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Shannon and Sweetlamb,

Potassium may help prevent or treat paresthesia (abnormal skin sensations such as tingling, tickling, itching or burning sensation) caused by Topamax (topiramate) according to Robert Skversky, M.D.

He has his Topamax patients take 800 mg of potassium once a day.

The article is posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/912/

————

Thanks for your input about your weight loss or lack thereof with Wellbutrin.

————

Dr. Jay Piatek, perhaps the best weight loss doctors I know, uses Zonegran (zonisamide) instead of Topamax.

He says it works as well, but with fewer side effects.

However, one other doctor, Dr. Robert Skversky, told me that he has found Topamax works better than Zonegran in his patients.

——————

Article about Zonegran are posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/C73/

Posted: 03 March 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-01-13

Thanks, Larry! I just took the potassium. 

I should have added in an earlier post that I’ve dropped two jean sizes.  Also, that I dropped the first 10 lbs. in a month.

Posted: 03 March 2007 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Shannon,

Congratulations.

Posted: 03 March 2007 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Well, like I said I have been on Wellbutrin for over a year with no results and I have been taking 300 mg. So, I dunno. I’m not too concerned about the weightloss altho it would be nice. Just the thought of getting rid of the migraines is going to be a dream!

Posted: 07 March 2007 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Sweetlamb,

Thanks for your feedback.

If something is going to cause weight loss, it will work right away, which means that any weight loss you might experience from Topmax would be from that drug alone and not due to the combination of drugs.

Posted: 10 April 2007 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-10

I have been on 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 100mg of Topamax since the beginning of January.  I had pretty much all the side effects, tingling, numbness, etc.  I have no appetite, food tastes strange to me.  I have also lost a significant amount of weight in a short time.  I have dropped about 35lbs. in 3 months.  I just had my 4th child a year ago, so I was still needing to lose some baby weight.  Everyone wants to know what my secret is.  But now my family thinks I am losing too much.  I feel like the combo has worked well for me.  But I guess it is time to cut my dose down.

Posted: 10 April 2007 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Bran,

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Thank you for your feedback about Wellbutrin plus Topamax.

Dr. Robert Skversky says he has found that 800 mg of potassium per day reduces skin sensations like the ones you experienced.

The article is posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/912/

Posted: 10 April 2007 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

For anyone interested in this combination…

I imagine that most people would lose more weight with phentermine (Adipex) plus Topamax rather than Wellbutrin plus Topamax… or better yet, phentermine plus Zonegran (zonesamide).

The research shows that phentermine causes much more weight loss than Wellbutrin.

Some people may lose weight with Wellbutrin, but many may not.

Articles about Zonegran (zonesamide) are posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/C73/

Articles about Wellbutrin are posted here:

http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/C163/

Posted: 11 April 2007 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-01-06

Wow, Bran….that’s a lot of weight in a short time. Did you diet/exercise along with it, or did it come off without any major effort?

Thanks for the info on the topamax/wellbutrin/phen. I’m getting irritated with my doctor because when I mention Zonegran or Topamax and studies showing these help with weight loss, despite having periodic migraines, I get a look like I’m secretly eating donuts in the car on the way home from my appointment, and I’ve yet to get an Rx for either! I get an Rx for Zomig instead (for migraines).

If I had high blood pressure, prediabetes, or high cholesterol, I’d leave with a handful of pills to treat those symptoms. All of which would markedly improve with a loss in weight. But something to help treat the cause of these symptoms? Nope.

It’s discouraging.

Posted: 11 April 2007 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-10

Clabbergirl

Before I went to my doc I decided that I would stop eating sweets and drinking soda.  Then I went to my doctor to be treated for depression and for chronic headaches.  He put me on the Wellbutrin/Topamax and said it would also help me lose weight some weight.  I really haven’t done anything except avoid sweets, soda and eating several hours before bed.  Since the meds gave me no appetite, my meals are very small.  The weight has pretty much fallen off.  I never thought I would lose this much.  I have tried diets, diet pills in the past and nothing has ever worked. 

I did read that one of the side effects that you should call your doc about immediately for is severe weight loss.  I don’t know if I would consider my self in that category, but my family does.  They think I need to cut my dose of Topamax down now so that I stop losing the weight.  They feel I am losing too much.  I do not want to do that.  I think as long as I stay at the weight I am now and do not lose anymore, I will stay at the dose I am on now. 

I’m sorry your doc isn’t being helpful.  I wish you luck with him.

1 of 5