Opinions On Dispensing Medications From Your Clinic
Posted: 19 July 2007 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-06-19

I’m an internist who has treated overweight/obese patients for five years.  I’ve considered dispensing medications from my office, but don’t know enough about it to tackle the task.  I’m hoping to get your thoughts, recommendations, concerns on the topic.

1. What are the benefits of dispensing medications vs. the convenience of writing a prescription?

2. Is there a cost beneift to the patient? (The convenience factor is obvious)

3. Do I have to obtain a special license to do this?

4. Any recommendations on wholesalers to contact to get my supply?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 19 July 2007 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2004-03-12

Homer,

I’ll send out an email to a bunch of weight loss doctors with your questions and post their answers when I hear back from them.

Posted: 20 July 2007 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Homer,

I sent you the emails from doctors so that you can correspond with them directly.

Posted: 20 July 2007 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-06-19

sorry larry, i didn’t get any emails.

Posted: 20 July 2007 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-03-12

Homer,

I sent them to your email address on file that is registered with your information on the site.

If there is a different email address you would like me to you, you can send it to me at larryhobbs@fatnews.com.

Posted: 29 August 2007 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-08-29

I dispense weight loss medicine directly from my office.  There are many advantages to doing so.  As far as licenses, I don’t know that all states require a special license.  My state does require one but it was a simple one page application—not a big deal.  You can save your patients money while still enjoying a large mark-up.  The only real down side is that you have to bottle and log all of the pills—it may not sound like much but it can be time consuming and easy to make a mistake.  I would be glad to put you in contact with my wholesaler.

DrK