Guar gum and wheat bran: Patients lost an average of 15.6 lbs in 2.5 months

Monday, November 22, 2004 1:15 pm Email this article

People taking guar gum or wheat bran on alternating weeks before lunch and dinner, lost an average of 15.6 pounds after 2.5 months.

Dose: 10 grams before lunch and dinner; 20 grams per day

The dose of fiber that they took was 10 grams immediately before lunch and dinner, for a total of 20 grams (20,000 mg) per day.

47% more weight loss with guar gum: 2.1 lbs per week vs 1.4 lbs

People lost about half again as much weight—47 percent more—during the weeks that they were taking guar gum—2.1 pounds per week with guar gum compare to 1.4 pounds per week with wheat bran.

Patients told not to change eating habits

Patients were told not to change their eating habits.

REFERENCE

Krotkiewski M. Effect of guar gum on body-weight, hunger ratings and metabolism in obese subjects. Br J Nutr. 1984 Jul, 52(1):97-105.

COMMENTS

On Nov 23, 2004 at 11:10 am DrJ wrote:

Larry,

Were the dose the same for the two products?

On Nov 23, 2004 at 11:19 am Larry Hobbs wrote:

Dr. Jacques,

They took 10 grams of guar gum before lunch and dinner for a week, then switched to 10 grams of wheat bran before lunch and dinner for the next week, alternating back and forth.

On Nov 23, 2004 at 11:44 am DrJ wrote:

So are they concluding that the alternation was what was effective or that it would just be best to use the 10 gram dose of guar gum. This looks like pretty good weight loss with an inexpensive product.

Jacqueline

On Nov 23, 2004 at 11:58 am Larry Hobbs wrote:

I think guar gum alone is probably the most effective.

I don't know why they chose to alternate between guar gum and wheat bran.

It may have been simply to compare the weekly weight loss with one versus the other.

On Jul 28, 2012 at 2:40 pm islandantoinette wrote:

Aloha Larry:

I am not at all surprised.

I know it works!

I have been doing my own study.

After gaining 130 pounds from the Pharmaceutical drug Seroquel taken for seizures following a coma from seizures.

I had to loose the weight! Guar gum was and IS and continues to be a very BIG adjunct in helping me get rid of the remaining 80 pounds!

I take 1 TB in OJ (1 cup) add 1 cup hot water and mix with a wire whisk.

3 times a week.

It does get thick! I use Red Mills from the health food store here in Kea'au on our island in Hawai'i.

I also have diabetes and it lowers my blood sugar so much I have been able to stop many of my insulin shots!

Don't tell me it does not work for loosing weight and for lowering diabetes sugar and cholesterol! My Dr.

saw my labs for my cholesterol and his eyes popped open.

He asked WHAT did you do! I told him Guar Gum! He could not believe it! In just 3 weeks! There you go your "Dr. Proof" that people want.

It is my opinion that the diet INDUSTRY and BIG BUSINESS in America does not want people to loose weight so they are dependent on their non working scams of diet products and foods.

What does work they take off the market! Has been going on for YEARS in the pharmaceutical industry!

On current popular and selling for $500 weight loss product is on the market now in 2012 and the first and main ingredient is GUAR GUM!!! Hint it has the word "surgery" in it.

Why people are paying $500 for a product that is $10 in the store is beyond me.

But that's the diet industry for you!

As I said it is BIG BUSINESS!

Antoinette

On Jul 28, 2012 at 2:53 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Antoinette,

Thanks for sharing your story.

Very interesting.