QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS
Factors associated with weight maintenance and weight regain
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:26 am Email this article
"Successful weight maintenance is associated with more initial weight loss, reaching a self-determined goal weight, having a physically active lifestyle, a regular meal rhythm including breakfast and healthier eating, control of over-eating and self-monitoring of behaviours," concludes a recent paper from Sweden.
More factors associated with weight maintenance
Weight maintenance is further associated with:
- an internal motivation to lose weight
- social support,
- better coping strategies and ability to handle life stress
- assuming responsibility in life, and
- overall more psychological strength and stability
Factors associated with weight regain
Factors associated with weight regain include:
- a history of weight cycling
- disinhibited eating
- binge eating
- more hunger
- eating in response to negative emotions and stress, and
- more passive reactions to problems
Elfhag K, Rossner S. Who succeeds in maintaining weight loss? a conceptual review of factors associated with weight loss maintenance and weight regain. Obes Rev. 2005 Feb, 6(1):67-85.
AUTHOR’S CONTACT INFORMATION
Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge
Articles on the same subject can be found here:
Please feel free to share your comments about this article.
© Copyright 2003-2017 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.