2500 mg potassium supplement per day improves heart function

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:18 am Email this article
    This new study found that giving 2500 mg of potassium per day per day for one month in the form of either potassium chloride or potassium bicarbonate had numerous benefits on the heart including "significantly improved endothelial function","increased large elastic artery compliance", "reduced [ left ventricular ] mass", "improved [ left ventricular ] diastolic function". Left Ventricular Mass And Function Predictors Of Cardiovascular Disease And Death

Left Ventricular Mass And Left Ventricular Function Are Predictors Of Cardiovascular Morbidity And Mortality

The authors of the study also noted that:

“Both [left ventricular] mass and function are important independent predictors of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality.”

Potassium Supplement Prevents Increase in Left Ventricular Mass And Impaired Left Ventricular Function

Potassium Deficiency Increases Left Ventricular Mass And Impairs Left Ventricular Function. This Is Prevented With A Potassium Supplement

“Experimental studies in dogs, mice, and human healthy volunteers showed that hypokalemia induced [left ventricular] hypertrophy and impaired [left ventricular] function.”

“Correction of hypokalemia by potassium supplementation prevented these adverse effects.”

Most populations only get 2300-2700 mg of potassium per day vs Recommended 4700 mg per day

Most populations only get 2300-2700 mg of potassium per day. US Institute of Medicine Recommends 4700 mg per day.

“[T]he adequate intake for adults recommended by the US Institute of Medicine (120 mmol/d) [4700 mg per day].”

“The current potassium intake in most populations is 60 to 70 mmol/d [2300-2700 mg per day].”

Potassium Benefits Cardiovascular System

Increasing Potassium Has Beneficial Effects On Cardiovascular System

“These results indicate that an increase in potassium intake has beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system and bone health.”

Potassium Increases Nitric Oxide

Potassium Preserves Endothelial Function by Increasing Nitric Oxide

“An increase in potassium intake has been shown to augment endothelium-dependent relaxation and preserve endothelial function through increased endothelial [ nitric oxide ] production in salt-loaded, Dahl salt-sensitive rats.”

[ A small study also found increased plasma and urinary nitric oxide in salt-sensitive people given potassium for one-week, they also note. ]

Potassium Supplement Beneficial Even In Those On Low-Salt, High-Potassium Intake

Additional Potassium Improved Endothelial Function Even in these People with a Relatively Low-Salt, High-Potassium Intake

“Our findings are of considerable interest in that the effect of potassium on endothelial function was found in individuals on a relatively low-salt and high-potassium intake.”

Potassium Supplement Protects Against Vascular Damage

Additional Potassium Protected Against Vascular Damage Induced by Salt-Loading in Salt-Sensitive Rats

“Studies in Dahl salt-sensitive rats demonstrated that potassium supplementation enhanced aortic compliance and protected against the development of vascular damage induced by salt loading, possibly through suppression of salt-induced oxidative stress.”

Blood Pressure Did Not Change

Blood Pressure Did Not Change During This One-Month Study

Interestingly, they found that office blood pressure did NOT change during the one-month study.

After one-month, blood pressure was:

145/91—Placebo
    142/90—Potassium Chloride
    144/90—Potassium Bicarbonate

In other words, all of these benefits occurred WITHOUT a change in blood pressure.

Professor Richard Moore, MD, PhD talks about this in his book “The High Blood Pressure Solution”.

He says that people assume the problem with high blood pressure is the mechanical pressure on the blood vessels, but this is not necessarily the problem.

He notes that, in most cases, elevated blood pressure simply indicates an imbalance inside cells—too little potassium and too much sodium.

You probably already know this, but he notes that the amount of potassium + sodium inside cells is constant. So if you too much sodium and not enough potassium, it creates this imbalance inside cells.

———

Subjects

Subjects:  People with mildly elevated blood pressure

Individuals aged 18 to 75 years, with sitting systolic BP of 140 to 170 mm Hg or diastolic BP of 90 to 105 mm Hg and with no previous treatment for raised BP, were eligible for the study.

COMMENTS

On Jul 21, 2010 at 9:05 pm Michael wrote:

Looking at potassium bicarbonate supplements
    on the internet, it seems there are any number
    of uses for gardening, wine making, research.

Would you have any idea of good cheap sources
    for human consumption, say like what your are
    taking. Or I was wondering what you took without
    it being a recommendation, just to get an idea
    of what others do.

Michael

On Jul 22, 2010 at 8:05 am Larry Hobbs wrote:

Go to

nutsonline[dot]com

and search for "potassium bicarbonate".

It's $5.99 per pound as of July 2010.

I just ordered some a few days ago.

I assume it is food grade since it is being used in food preparation.

Be sure to measure correctly.

I take one-half teaspoon twice a day.

One-half teaspoon contains roughly 1000 mg of potassium plus bicarbonate.

I would NOT exceed this.

Too much potassium can kill you.

It would probably take several times this much to do any harm, but just be careful.

2000 mg of potassium per day, which is what I'm taking, is the amount of potassium found in roughly

4-5 bananas
    4-5 glasses of orange juice (8 ounces each)

On Aug 10, 2010 at 11:04 am Michael wrote:

Question on Potassium Bicarbonate with or without food?

Beyond a Century says, "It is very important that each dose be taken on an empty stomach (about three hours from last meal, one hour before next), washed down with a cup or more of lukewarm water."

Pure Bulk says,"Potassium Bicarbonate should be taken with meals and with a glass of water or other liquid (between 8 and 16 ounces). This product should not be taken on an empty stomach because of its potential for gastric irritation. Because potassium bicarbonate is a potentially irritant to the stomach if ingested in amounts greater than recommended "

I'm taking 1000 mg once a day (to start) in 8 oz of water after a meal, it is filling like I just had a beer or drank our local water which is very hard and hard to drink that much of.

Wondering what your thoughts wer.e

Thanks for recommending nuts on line or nuts are us.

Michael

On Aug 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Michael,

I don't know that it matters whether you take it with food or not.

I imagine this is simply a way to reduce any possibility of gut irritation.

It can't hurt to take it with food, however, I do NOT always take mine with food.

Regarding gut irritation...

I have NEVER experienced any gut irritation from potassium bicarbonate, and I am sensitive to this type of thing.

Potassium chloride, a different form of potassium, CAN cause gut irritation.

I've experienced this.

I use Lite Salt, which is half sodium chloride (salt) and half potassium chloride, instead of regular salt (sodium chloride).

I HAVE experienced gut irritation from Lite Salt, which I believe is due to the chloride.

But I have never experience gut irritation from potassium bicarbonate.

I mix the potassium bicarbonate in water, but you can mix it in any liquid you want.

Note: Not that this is necessary for anyone to do, but currently I am mixing the potassium bicarbonate with L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

The bicarbonate buffers the ascorbic acid so that it is no longer acidic.

I am doing this because Nobel-Prize-winning chemist, Linus Pauling, PhD, who was a big advocate of vitamin C, used L-ascorbic acid.

He would mix it with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to buffer the acidity.

I want more potassium, not more sodium, therefore I am mixing it with the potassium bicarbonate rather than sodium bicarbonate.

I've been taking potassium bicarbonate for 10 years, but just in the last year or so have I started mixing it with ascorbic acid.

I used to take different forms of vitamin C, but switched to just ascorbic acid after reading what Linus Pauling used.

On Jan 24, 2011 at 5:17 pm Halfy wrote:

Hmmm...

> Larry Hobbs wrote:
    > I take one-half teaspoon twice a day.
    > One-half teaspoon contains roughly 1000 mg
    > of potassium plus bicarbonate.
    > I would NOT exceed this.

According to my calculations...

One teaspoon roughly equals 4.92 cubic centimeters.
    One CC of potassium bicarbonate is 2.17 grams.

Half a teaspoon, or 2.46 CC's = 5.34 grams of potassium bicarbonate.
    There is about 39% potassium in potassium bicarbonate.
    So, half a teaspoon gives you about two grams of potassium... or 2,000 mg.
    Larry, you take this twice a day, so you get about 4,000 mg of potassium.

You might want to go down to a quarter teaspoon, if you only want 1,000 mg.

On Jan 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Halfy,

Thanks.

I just weighed it again.

One-half teaspoon weighs 3.2 grams (3200 mg) of potassium bicarbonate.

It is 39% potassium which means one-half teaspoon contains 1250 mg of potassium. (3200 mg x 0.39 equals 1249 mg).

I take it twice a day, which would be 2500 mg of potassium per day.

I take a rounded half-teaspoon, so I get slightly more than this.

I've taken this since 2000, so 11 years at this point.

This amount has worked great for me. My blood pressure remains perfect.

The last reading I took it was 118/72 mm Hg. (Taken in the evening.)

I avoid taking it late at night just to make sure it does not keep me awake.

I warn people not to take too much just to make sure that no one goes crazy, expects their blood pressure to drop to normal overnight, and decides to take a bunch more than recommended, assuming it can't possibly hurt them, and runs into a problem.

On May 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm Ralph wrote:

Larry,

Do you still take potassium bicarbonate?

If so, what is the current dosage and what was your latest BP reading?

I'm currently taking Losartan (100 mg) and Amlodipine (5 mg) to bring a 150/100 BP to 125/85. However, I wanted to try the potassium supplement idea to see if I can reduce or eliminate the prescription medications.

My diastolic number seems the most resistant to change as I can bring the systolic down more easily with diet and lifestyle changes, but the diastolic will sometimes still remain in the 90s even with meds. If you have any insight on how to interpret that piece of information, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a slightly different BP taken from left arm vs. right arm although it isn't huge ... maybe 10 points.

Thanks in advance!

Ralph Taite

On May 18, 2012 at 3:35 am Halfy wrote:

Where do you get Potassium Bicarbonate?
    I have checked a couple grocery stores and pharmacies. None around here seem to carry it.
    Is it sold under some brand name?

Currently, I just take a 100 mg potassium pill each day. I am not going to take 20 of these per day. Although, with all the other stuff I take (Turmeric, green tea, fish oil, apple cider vinegar, and about a dozen other pills), my blood pressure is likely about as good as it's going to get... without quitting smoking.

On May 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Ralph,

Yes, I still take potassium bicarbonate.

I've taken it for 12 years, since 2000.

Here are some recent blood pressure readings.

120/67
    115/64
    131/67
    113/62

I take one-half teaspoon twice a day for a total of one teaspoon per day.

One-half teaspoon weighs 3.2 grams (3200 mg) of potassium bicarbonate.

I take it twice a day, which would be 2500 mg of potassium per day.

Larry Hobbs

On May 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Ralph,

Another way to get extra potassium is to consume 20 ounces of Low Sodium V8 Juice per day.

Low Sodium V8 Juice contains 100 mg of potassium per ounce, so 20 ounces contains 2000 mg of potassium.

Larry Hobbs

On May 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Ralph,

I don't know how to interpret your diastolic reading being high even with blood pressure drugs.

You diastolic reading may come down fairly quickly if you increase your potassium intake.

Julian Whitaker, MD, who has had a clinic in Newport Beach, California for 32 years where they has seen something like 50,000 patients, has said on his radio program that even people with severely elevated blood pressure comes down very quickly when increasing their potassium intake.

Larry Hobbs

On May 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Ralph,

Magnesium is necessary for the body to utilize potassium.

Studies from maybe 25 years ago found that a majority of Americans do not get the recommended amount of magnesium.

I have not seen any studies comparing the effects of giving potassium versus giving potassium plus magnesium, but it some people might also want to take a couple hundred milligrams of magnesium per day as well.

(I take 1/8 teaspoon twice a day.)

Note: Too much magnesium will cause diarrhea, so don't take too much.

I take magnesium oxide powder, which is very cheap.

It costs just a few dollars for a bottle that will last several years.

Here is a link to the Google Shopping results for the cheap magnesium oxide powder that I take.

If it were me, I would try potassium bicarbonate alone for maybe a month, and then add magnesium after that so that I could tell if adding magnesium had any additional blood pressure-lowering effect.

Larry Hobbs

On May 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Halfy wrote:

Here's where I get Potassium Bicarbonate.

(It's used in wine-making.)

$5.99 per pound - cheap.

I've also bought it from here:

$5.54 per pound -- Very cheap.

However, the stuff from LabelPeelers.com was clumped together in large chucks like it had absorbed some moisture, whereas the stuff from NutsOnLine.com was flowing powder.

In other words, the stuff from NutsOnLine.com seemed fresher or stored more carefully so as not to be exposed to excess moisture.

(It's all the same potassium bicarbonate. They just buy the powder from a manufacturer (through a distributor) and then put it in their own bags.)

I take a total of one teaspoon per day.

I take in two divided doses -- one-half teaspoon mixed in a small amount of water twice a day.

I have also taken it in four divided doses -- one quarter teaspoon mixed in water four times per day, although this is less convenient.

You can also buy Potassium Bicarbonate in capsules from Life Enhancement, however it is MUCH more expensive -- something like 10 times more expensive.

I would MUCH rather buy the powder and take it because it is so much cheaper.

-------

You can also get the same amount of potassium bicarbonate by drinking 20 ounces of Low Sodium V8 Juice.

(Organic compounds in fruits and vegetables get converted into bicarbonate in the body, so it's equivalent to taking potassium bicarbonate.)

Use the real stuff -- Low Sodium V8 Juice -- and not some cheaper product.

Low Sodium V8 Juice contain 100 mg of potassium per fluid ounce, so 20 ounces is 2000 mg per day.

------

I prefer simply using the powder because it is easier to remember, and easier to take.

Larry Hobbs

On May 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm Ralph wrote:

Larry,

You are a stronger man than me. The potasium bicarbonate from NutsOnline is extremely bitter and I gag when I eat it.

I threw up last night on my second dose (half teaspoon measured using a gram scale at 3200 mg).

I tried it mixed in water and with a sweet beverage and couldn't get it to go down easily. If I put it directly on my tongue, I can get it to go down but there is an exothermic reaction with my saliva and my mouth gets very warm.

Before I go the Low Sodium V8 route, do you have a secret on making this bitter medicine go down?

Ralph

On May 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Ralph,

No, I don't have a secret on taking potassium bicarbonate.

I've taken powders for 30 years, so it does not bother me.

In fact, for me, potassium bicarbonate mixed in water has little taste.

You can try holding your nose while drinking the potassium bicarbonate mixed in water.

I think doing this should make it so you can't taste it.

You could also try starting with a very small amount, maybe 1/8 teaspoon or even 1/16 teaspoon, mixed in water until you get used to that.

Then, gradually increase the dose to 2/8 teaspoon... then 3/8 teaspoon, then finally 4/8 teaspoon -- 1/2 teaspoon -- twice a day.

You could also start by mixing maybe 1/8 teaspoon or even 1/16 teaspoon in orange juice to mask the taste -- or add it to a small Low-Sodium V8 Juice to mask the taste -- then gradually increase the dose to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day.

Just so I make myself clear, I would not take both a full dose of potassium bicarbonate in addition to drinking 20 ounces of Low-Sodium V8 Juice

I mix potassium bicarbonate with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), but I don't do this to mask the taste. I do this so the potassium bicarbonate will buffer the ascorbic acid. I let it fizz until it stops fizzing before drinking it.

My guess is that you will get used to the taste.

When I first took acetyl-L-carnitine powder, I thought it had spoiled because it tasted so sour, but now I don't even think about the taste.

Let me know how you do.

Larry Hobbs

On Apr 27, 2013 at 4:43 am NevadaSmith wrote:

How long did it take from the time you started on potassium bicarbonate for your blood pressure to normalize?

On Jun 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm Larry Hobbs wrote:

Nevada,

My blood pressure normalized within a month or two after I started taking potassium bicarbonate, but continued to improve slightly over the next few months.

I've taken potassium bicarbonate for 13 years, since 2000.

A number of years ago, Julian Whitaker, MD said on his radio program that people with severely elevated blood pressure have their blood pressure come down very quickly when they increase their potassium intake.

Larry Hobbs