fatnews.com Home page  >  Article | Previous article | Next article

SEARCH

QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS

  • Categories of Articles
  • Summary View
  • Headline View
  • Archive of Quotes
  • Contact Us
  • Follow @fatnews

    People using air conditioning in their home were 2.2 times as likely to become obese


    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:15 am Email this article
    People using air conditioning in their home two or more days per week in the summer season were 2.2 times as likely to become obese during a 6-year follow-up compared to people not using air conditioning according to study from researchers at the the University of Turin in Turin, Italy. Note

    Note: The study did not quite reach statistical significance

    The study did not quite reach statistical significance.

    There was a 7 percent chance that the difference was due to random chance.

    Science creates an artificial cutoff point of 5 percent to be considered statistically significant.

    However, in this case with air conditioning, it simply means that there is a 93 percent chance that the difference was due to the air conditioning, and a 7 percent chance that it was due to random chance.

    Close enough for me.

     

    Air Conditioning Use

    Air Conditioning Use: 16.5% of those who became obese vs 5% in those who did not become obese

    Air conditioning was used by 16.5 percent of people who became obese compare to 5 percent for those who did not become obese during the 6-year follow-up.

     

    Subjects

    Subjects: 1282 people

    The study followed 1282 Caucasian people, aged 45–64 years, who were not obese at the start of the study, for 6 years to try and determine factors that were associated with an increased risk of obesity.

    After 6 years, 103 had become obese, and 1179 had not.

     

    Conclusion

    Conclusion: Sleep restriction, higher home temperature and restaurant meals were associated with increased risk of obesity

    “Sleep restriction, higher home temperature and regular consumption of [ restaurant meals ] might represent lifestyle contributors to the obesity and hyperglycemia epidemics,” the paper concluded. “Avoiding these behaviors could be a potential adjunctive non-pharmacological strategy for preventing the obesity and hyperglycemia epidemics.”

    REFERENCE

    Bo S, Ciccone G, Durazzo M, Ghinamo L, Villois P, Canil S, Gambino R, Cassader M, Gentile L, Cavallo-Perin P. Contributors to the obesity and hyperglycemia epidemics. A prospective study in a population-based cohort. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 Feb 1, published on-line.

    AUTHOR’S CONTACT INFORMATION

    Dr. S Bo
    Department of Internal Medicine
    University of Turin
    Corso Dogliotti 14
    Turin 10126, Italy
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

    Articles on the same subject can be found here:


    COMMENTS

    Please feel free to share your comments about this article.


    Name:

    Email:

    Comments:

    Please enter the word you see in the image below:


    Remember my personal information

    Notify me of follow-up comments?



    © Copyright 2003-2021 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.