QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS
Whey protein meal replacement causes weight loss of 21.8 lbs in one year
Monday, July 30, 2018 2:19 pm Email this article
Obese men and women who for the first six (6) months replaced two (2) meals per day with a meal replacement shake containing 215 calories, consisting of 15 grams of protein from whey protein, and then for the next six (6) months replaced one (1) meal per day, lost an average of 21.8 pounds in one (1) year according to a recent study from researchers at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization in Adelaide, South Australia.
Subjects: 127 people— 95 women and 32 men, average body weight 210 lbs, BMI of 33
The study involved 127 people— 95 women and 32 men—who, on average, weighed 210 pounds, with a body mass index (BMI) of 33.4 (obese), and who were, on average, 50-years-old.
Meal Replacements: 215 calories and 15 grams of protein
For the first six months, they replaced two meals per day with meal replacement shakes containing glycomacropeptide-enriched whey protein isolate.
For the second six months, they replaced one meal per day.
Each meal replacement shake contained 215 calories and 15 grams of protein.
Glycomacropeptide-enriched whey protein
Glycomacropeptide-enriched whey protein did NOT improve weight loss more than skim milk powder
They used glycomacropeptide-enriched whey protein because glycomacropeptide “is a peptide that has been shown to stimulate release of cholecystokinin, which may promote satiety” according to the paper.
Comment: The glycomacropeptide did NOT improve weight loss more than simply using 15 grams of skim milk powder, so if you are interested in doing this yourself, any whey protein supplement will work just as well.
“Meal replacements containing GMP [glycomacropeptide] had no additional effect on the overall sustained 12-[month] weight loss of 10 kg,” the authors concluded.
Other articles about Meal Replacements posted here
Articles on Meal Replacements are posted here.
Here are links to some of these articles.
- SlimFast shakes cause 15.6 lbs weight loss in three months
- Meal replacements cause 5.5 lbs more weight loss after three months than low calorie diet
- Meal replacement shakes cause as much weight loss as 1400 calorie diet: 20 lbs in six months
- Whey protein meal replacement for 2 meals per day causes weight loss of 20.9 lbs in 6 months
- Whey protein meal replacement causes weight loss of 21.8 lbs in one year
- Skim milk powder meal replacement for 2 meals per day causes weight loss of 24.2 lbs in six months
- Skim milk powder meal replacement causes weight loss of 23.8 lbs in one year
- People consuming two meal replacements lost 15.6 lbs in 3 months vs 2.9 lbs with low-calorie diet
- People using one meal replacement per day lost 22.9 lbs in 2 years vs 16.9 lbs with no replacement
- People using one meal replacement per day lost 20.9 lbs in 4 years vs 9 lbs with no replacement
- SlimFast shakes cause 11% weight loss for two years
- SlimFast shakes cause 8.4% weight loss for four years
- SlimFast: 18-23 lbs difference after five years
- Patients lost 21 pounds or 9.5% of body weight in six weeks on 800 calorie liquid meal replacement
- Intense weight loss therapy and meal replacements help severely obese women lose 53 lbs, men 79 lbs
- Meal replacement shakes caused 5-year weight difference of 27.5 lbs in men, 24.5 lbs in women
- Two meal replacements per day caused weight loss of 18.9 lbs
- Meal replacement shakes cause greater weight loss than diet alone: 15.6 lbs vs 6.4 lbs
- Women lost 13-14% in four months with either caesin or soy meal replacements
- Meal replacement shakes help low-income patient lose 7% of bodyweight
- Meal replacements cause greater weight loss
- Meal replacement shakes help women lose 12% of body weight in five months
- Meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch help people lose 20 pounds
- Meal replacements cause 5 pounds greater weight loss
- Glycomacropeptide-enriched whey meal replacement does not increase weight loss over skim milk powder
- Group phone sessions along with meal replacements cause as much weight loss as office visits: 28 lbs
- Meridia plus meal replacement shakes causes weight loss of 23.8 lbs in one year
- American Dietetic Assoication’s position on weight management
- Soy-based meal replacment shakes cause 9 lbs greater weight loss
- Meal replacements cause greater weight loss
Keogh J, Clifton P. The effect of meal replacements high in glycomacropeptide on weight loss and markers of cardiovascular disease risk. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jun, 87(6):1602-05.
AUTHOR’S CONTACT INFORMATION
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Human Nutrition
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Articles on the same subject can be found here:
Please feel free to share your comments about this article.
© Copyright 2003-2017 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.