QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS
Zonegran (zonisamide) 200 mg per day causes weight loss of 9.6 lbs in 1 year vs 8.8 lbs w/ placebo
Monday, October 15, 2012 1:40 pm Email this article
Zonegran (zonisamide), an anti-seizure drug, given at a dose of 200 mg per day, in addition to diet and lifestyle counseling by a dietitian, did NOT cause more weight loss than with a placebo.
Weight loss with 200 mg of Zonegran (zonisamide) per day caused an average weight loss of only 9.6 lbs in one year vs 8.8 lbs with placebo according to a new study by Kishore M. Gadde, MD, David B. Allison, PhD, George A. Bray, MD and others.
Subjects: 225 obese adults
The study involved 225 obese people with an average body mass index (BMI) of 37.6.
The participants included 134 women and 91 men without diabetes mellitus.
The study was conducted from January 9, 2006, through September 20, 2011, at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina, USA.
Gadde KM, Kopping MF, Wagner HR, Yonish GM, Allison DB, and Bray GA. Zonisamide for Weight Reduction in Obese Adults: A 1-Year Randomized Controlled Trial. Arch Intern Med 2012; published early on-line.
Kishore M. Gadde, MD
Obesity Clinical Trials Programme
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710, USA
Other articles about Zonegran
Other articles about Zonegran (zonisamide) for Weight Loss
Here are other articles about Zonegran (zonisamide) and weight loss.
- Zonegran (zonisamide) 400 mg per day causes weight loss of 16.1 lbs in 1 year vs 8.8 lbs w/ placebo
- Zonegran (zonisamide) 200 mg per day causes weight loss of 9.6 lbs in 1 year vs 8.8 lbs w/ placebo
- Zonegran (zonisamide) side effects: nausea, vomiting, impaired memory, anxiety, impaired attention
- Zonegran (zonisamide) eliminates binge eating in about half of people, average weight loss of 18 lbs
- Topamax and Zonegran can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors according to the FDA
- Empatic (120 mg Zonegran SR plus 360 mg Wellbutrin SR) caused weight loss of 12.1% in 11 months
- Empatic (360 mg Zonegran SR plus 360 mg Wellbutrin SR) caused weight loss of 14% in 11 months
- Empatic (Zonegran plus Wellbutrin) caused weight loss of 5-10% in 6 months
- Empatic (Zonegran plus Wellbutrin) caused weight loss of 11-15% in 11 months
- Empatic (Zonegran plus Wellbutrin) dropouts due to side effects varied from 9-21%
- Excalia causes weight loss of 9.2% after six months, 12% after eleven months
- Zonegran (zonisamide) helps bipolar disease and causes weight loss of 19.8 lbs after one year
- Zonegran (zonisamide) plus diet, 11 lbs more weight loss after 4 months, 17 lbs more after 8 months
- Zonegran (zonesamide) causes average weight loss of 5% after eight months
- Zonegran reduces sweet cravings, causes weight loss, says Dr. Jay Piatek
Articles on the same subject can be found here:
Please feel free to share your comments about this article.
© Copyright 2003-2017 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.