QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS
Statins increase life expectancy by only 2 weeks in those with a heart attack, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:30 am Email this article
In people who have had a heart attack or who have angina, statisticians have calculated that statins increase life expectancy by only 15 days—2 weeks!
This is noted by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick in the wonderful documentary Statin Nation.
Malcolm Kendrick is the author of The Great Cholesterol Con.
Below is the quote of exactly what he said.
“[Let’s say] at the end of the study, there are 50 more people alive [given a statin vs those given a placebo],” Malcolm Kendrick notes.
“But how long does it take before those 50 people are dead?”
“The answer is a very short amount of time.”
“They have looked at this, statisticians, looking at the MRC [Study]...”
[The MRC Study is the MRC/BHF (Medical Research Council/ British Heart Foundation) Heart Protection Study.]
“Using a technique called the restricted mean-survival time…
Statins increase life expectancy by only 2 weeks
Statins increase life expectancy in someone who has had a heart attack by only 15 days
“What you find is that in Secondary Prevention Studies—the two that are most quoted—the 4S Study [the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study] and the HPS, Health Protection Study—that if you took a statin for 5 years, that was the length of the trial…
“You could expect to live, on average, 15 days longer. That’s it.”
I encourage everyone who is interested in statins or heart disease to buy the Station Nation DVD and watch both the one-hour documentary as well as the two-hours of extended interviews.
You can buy the DVD here:
The DVD contains the one-hour documentary plus an additional two-hours of extended interviews with Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, Uffe Ravnskov, MD PhD and others.
I enjoyed the two-hours of extended interviews every bit as much as I enjoyed the documentary.
Dr. Malcolm Kendrick’s blog is here:
Other articles from Statin Nation
Other articles with more quotes from the movie Statin Nation
Other articles from the movie Statin Nation can be found here:
- Statins increase life expectancy by only 2 weeks in those with a heart attack, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick
- Statins do NOT increase life expectancy by even one day in the general population, Malcolm Kendrick
- HIGHER cholesterol as associated with LONGER life, fewer infections and cancer, Uffe Ravnskov MD PhD
- Low cholesterol levels INCREASE the risk of cancer notes Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD
- Those who have LOW cholesterol levels are likely to die YOUNGER notes Dr. Malcolm Kendrick
- 8 of 9 panel members who wrote the cholesterol guidelines were paid by the drug companies
- Statin-induced side effects: depression, fatigue, memory loss, arrhythmia, Katherine Faraday, MD
- Statin side effects, 51-yr-old women: depression, amnesia, incredible fatigue, chest pain, insomnia
- Statin side effects: ‘Life was pretty unbearable’, constant pain, fatigue, did not feel well, Tony W
- LDL cholesterol binds to and inactivates bacteria and viruses, Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD
- Statins increase the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 25-30% notes Dr. Malcolm Kendrick
Articles on the same subject can be found here:
Please feel free to share your comments about this article.
© Copyright 2003-2021 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.