fatnews.com Fatnews Bitchute Channel Link Home page  >  Article | Previous article | Next article

SEARCH

QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS

  • Categories of Articles
  • Summary View
  • Headline View
  • Archive of Quotes
  • Contact Us
  • Belviq (lorcaserin) increases risk of primary pulmonary hypertension 1.4-fold


    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    Saturday, November 01, 2014 12:50 pm Email this article

    Belviq (lorcaserin), a weight loss drug, was associated with a 1.4-fold increased risk of ‘possible’ primary pulmonary hypertension according to a paper looking at side effects of the drug written by James DiNicolantonio, PharmD and others.

    The difference was not statistically significant. The p-value was 0.16, meaning that there was a 16% chance that this difference was due to random chance and an 84% chance that the difference was due to the drug.

    “Lastly, there may be an increase in ‘possible’ primary pulmonary hypertension with lorcaserin,” the paper notes.

    “Indeed, data derived from a pooled analysis of both BLOOM and BLOSSOM (n=3470), using a 35 mm Hg or greater increase in systolic arterial pulmonary pressure as a cut-off for ‘possible’ primary pulmonary hypertension, yield an increased risk with lorcaserin versus placebo (OR 1.41; 95% CI 0.87 to 2.27, p=0.16). Although not a statistically significant finding, primary pulmonary hypertension is a very serious clinical adverse effect with a high mortality rate, and thus any possibility of an increased risk should be taken seriously.”

    Reference

    DiNicolantonio JJ, Chatterjee S, O’Keefe JH, and Meier P. Lorcaserin for the treatment of obesity? A closer look at its side effects. Open Heart, 2014; 1(1): http://openheart.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000173.full.

    Author’s Contact Info

    James J. DiNicolantonio, PharmD
    Associate Editor BMJ Open Heart
    Cardiovascular Research Scientist
    Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute
    http://www.saintlukeshealthsystem.org/dinicolantonio
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Dinicolantonio
    https://twitter.com/jjdinicol
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)


    Articles on the same subject can be found here:


    COMMENTS

    Please feel free to share your comments about this article.


    Name:

    Email:

    Comments:

    Please enter the word you see in the image below:


    Remember my personal information

    Notify me of follow-up comments?



    © Copyright 2003-2021 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.