fatnews.com Fatnews Bitchute Channel Link Home page  >  Article | Previous article | Next article

SEARCH

QUICKLINKS AND VIEW OPITONS

  • Categories of Articles
  • Summary View
  • Headline View
  • Archive of Quotes
  • Contact Us
  • Potassium citrate plus potassium bicarbonate dissolve uric acid kidney stones in 5 of 8 people


    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:59 am Email this article

    1500 mg of potassium per day in the form of potassium citrate (40 mEq) plus 800 mg of potassium per day in the form of potassium bicarbonate (20 mEq) dissolved uric acid kidney stones in 5 of 8 people according to a study from researchers in the Urology Unit at Manzoni Hospital in Lecco, Italy.

    In 3 of the 8 people, their kidney stones dissolved within 1.5 months; in the 4th person, their kidney stone dissolved within 4 months of continued treatment; and in the 5th person, their kidney stone dissolved within 6 months of continued treatment.

    “Uric acid stone disease is dependent on three pathogenetic factors: acid urine pH, low urine volume, and hyperuricosuria 
[ excess amounts of uric acid in the urine ],” the authors of the paper note.

    “However, the most important factor for uric acid stone formation 
is persistently acidic urine that represents a prerequisite for 
uric acid stone formation and growth.”

    “Urinary alkalization with alkali administration 
[ of potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonate ] has been advocated for dissolution of stones 
on the basis of established clinical experience.”

    “Urinary alkalization with potassium citrate/bicarbonate 
is a well tolerated and highly effective treatment, 
resulting in dissolution of nonobstructing uric acid stones.”

    There are 3 types of kidney stones

    90% of kidney stones are calcium kidney stones, and 10% are uric acid stones or other types of stones as noted below.

    “Over 90 percent of all stones are composed of calcium, either calcium oxalate or [ calcium ] phosphate. The remaining 10 percent include uric acid, cysteine [ he meant to say cystine ] and matrix stones [ which are rare ],” according to Fernando Cabrera, MD from The Cleveland Clinic as posted here.

    Potassium citrate (and probably potassium bicarbonate) reduces either calcium stones or uric acid stones, and so they may also help to dissolve calcium stones as well

    Potassium citrate reduces formation of either calcium stones or uric acid stones—I assume potassium bicarbonate would work as well because potassium bicarbonate lowers urinary excretion of calcium as does potassium citrate—according to Fredric Coe, MD of the University of Chicago as noted here.

    I [Larry Hobbs] assume that potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonate might also dissolve calcium stones as well as uric acid stones.

    Reference

    Trinchieri A, Esposito N, and Castelnuovo C. Dissolution of radiolucent renal stones by oral alkalinization with potassium citrate/potassium bicarbonate. Arch Ital Urol Androl, 2009 Sep; 81(3): 188-191.

    Author’s Contact Info

    Alberto Trinchieri
    Urology Unit, Manzoni Hospital
    Via dell’Eremo 9/11
    23900, Lecco, Italy
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)










    Articles on the same subject can be found here:


    COMMENTS

    Please feel free to share your comments about this article.


    Name:

    Email:

    Comments:

    Please enter the word you see in the image below:


    Remember my personal information

    Notify me of follow-up comments?



    © Copyright 2003-2021 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.