fatnews.com Fatnews Bitchute Channel Link Home page  >  Article | Previous article | Next article



  • Categories of Articles
  • Summary View
  • Headline View
  • Archive of Quotes
  • Contact Us
  • The risk of hemorrhagic stroke was higher for lean women than heavier women

    Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:41 am Email this article
    Being heavier or gaining weight does not increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke according to data from the Nurses' Health Study.

    In fact, the opposite was true. The risk of hemorrhagic stroke was greater in lean women compared to heavier women, although the difference was not statistically significant.

    (There was a 20% chance that this was due to random chance, and an 80% chance this was due to difference in weight. To be statistically significant, there has to be less than a 5% chance that the difference is due to random chance.) Subjects

    Subjects: 116,759 women aged 30 to 55 years

    The Nurses’s Health study involved 116,759 women aged 30 to 55 years in 1976 who were free from diagnosed coronary heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

    The followup for this study was 16 years.

    BMI Table

    A BMI Table can be found here.


    Rexrode K, Hennekens C, Willett W, Colditz G, Stampfer M, Rich-Edwards JW, Speizer F, Manson J. A prospective study of body mass index, weight change, and risk of stroke in women. JAMA. 1997 May 21, 277(19):1539-45.


    K. Rexrode
    Division of Preventive Medicine
    Brigham and Women’s Hospital
    Boston, MA 02115, USA
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

    Articles on the same subject can be found here:


    Please feel free to share your comments about this article.




    Please enter the word you see in the image below:

    Remember my personal information

    Notify me of follow-up comments?

    © Copyright 2003-2021 - Larry Hobbs - All Rights Reserved.